Friday, July 6, 2012

Matcha Macarons v2



I apologise for the late update. i've been extremely busy recently so much so that i even did this post during my break at school (i didn't have internet access so i typed this on Word)

As I mentioned previously, I wasn’t impressed with the green tea taste from the previous batch of matcha macarons. So after picking up a can of green tea powder from Sukayara Fish Mart at Parkway, I proceeded to attempt matcha macarons a second time.

Clearly, the colour of the macarons are a lot lighter as the colouring (originally with the matcha powder from Phoon Huat) has been omitted and I used plain matcha powder. You can see more about buying green tea powder here.

This batch was rather well received and those who tried the previous matcha batch felt that this was nicer and much lighter than the previous batch. Also, I had changed the filling for this one. If you see my post here, you’ll know that I had filled the matcha macarons with white chocolate-matcha ganache which was a tad too sweet for my liking. So with this, I tried using dark chocolate and the new matcha powder I bought and made a matcha-darkchocolate ganache, made by taking 2 parts dark chocolate, 1 part white chocolate and matcha with whipping cream – because I was afraid that the ganache would be too dark/bitter, so I added in some white chocolate. The macaron piped only with this had an overwhelming dark chocolate taste which outshone the matcha flavor of the shell. So I decided to pipe both ganache into the shell and it had a nice balance. (this explains the different fillings in the picture).

I reverted to using my Glad Baking Paper and had no problems getting the macaron shells of the paper (thankfully). Although so, I did meet with some hollow shells for one of the batches.

Because I bake the macarons one tray at a time, I tried exploring with the different temperatures. The best temperature so far would be 145ºC. Although it causes the macarons to brown slightly, I don’t have an issue with that because I feel more assured that they’re cooked thorough. 140ºC causes the macarons to be undercooked with hollow shells even though the outside seems dry and the bottom seems totally flat and cooked. I’m guessing it is because of the position of the tray in the oven – the lowest rack. Hence the bottom did manage to cook although the insides weren’t given enough time to rise, causing them to rise, collapse and settle, forming sticky inside bottoms. But as Not So Humble says, no one is going to spit out a hollow macaron and they are still delicious. So I’m not too worried about that, also considering I’ve figured the solution.
So yup, again I turned to my favourite macaron recipe as yet. I cut 15g off the icing sugar and replaced 10g of the cocoa powder with matcha powder.
And with this, I’ve finished my huge container of egg whites ^^. I’m going to do a kueh lapis some time soon so I’ll get a new batch of egg whites to work with in abit. And now that I’m satisified with the use of extra egg whites I guess I can attempt more recipes with egg yolks soon! (:
Matcha Macarons V2 (Makes about 36 whole) (Adapted from Call Me Cupcake!)
Ingredients:
100g Blanched, Ground Almonds
100-110g Egg White
170g Icing Sugar
10g Matcha Powder
4 Tablespoons Sugar (~60g)
  1. If egg whites are cold, bring it to room temperature while measuring the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Sift icing sugar into a bowl - ensure that there are no lumps. (i usually push bumps through the sieve.)
  3. Sift ground almonds into the same bowl - when you get to the coarser ground almonds, grind almonds in a food processor. (this is important if you want smooth shells) (do note that i usually face a slight problem when blending the almonds. they tend to clump at the sides of the container due to the natural almond oils when you blend. but most of them should turn powdery and i don't use the side lumps)
  4. Add matcha powder and mix the dry ingredients thoroughly with a fork to ensure well mixed.
  5. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites. When the egg whites start foaming, add the sugar gradually and continue whipping until the mixture is glossy and stiff. (stiff peaks)
  6. Do not overwhip.
  7. Fold the dry mix into the meringue in 2-3 parts using a clean spatula. Mix until mixture is just slightly runny and dissolves back into the mixture. (it's okay if it takes a little while to dissolve in)
  8. Fill your piping bag and pipe the macarons onto a baking sheet. Let them set for 60 minutes to form a dry skin.
  9. Preheat oven to 145ºC. Bake for 18 minutes in the middle rack. (i did one tray at a time)
  10. After baking, remove and let cool. The shells should come right off when peeled.
The white chocolate matcha ganache can be found here


Matcha White-Dark Chocolate Ganache (Adapted from Youtube Video)
Ingredients: 
1oz White Chocolate (i used white chocolate chips)
2oz Dark Chocolate (i used 70% dark chocolate)
10g Matcha Powder
60ml Whipping Cream
  1. Bring whipping cream to a boil. Remove from heat.
  2. Add Matcha powder and whisk well.
  3. Combine with white&darj chocolate and whisk/stir well.
  4. Mix in tea leaves if desired.
  5. Leave to cool at room temperature. It will set well in the fridge.
On my next attempt i shall try 2oz white chocolate and 1oz dark chocolate instead. :)


1 comment:

  1. Hello, I came across your blog while searching for macarons made with the Rowenta OC7891 oven. Your macarons looks gorgeous!

    I got the oven about a year back, but I never managed to make a batch of macarons that impressed me. The shells of my macarons were translucent and splotchy (too soft) and will brown when i baked them longer or at a higher temperature. I used 170 deg cel while preheating and dropped to 140 deg cel to bake for about 18 to 20 minutes. But they still came out a little under cooked and didn't have the crunch when you bite into it. I got a oven thermometer and it reads a lot lower than the temperature I set. There seems to be uneven heating too, especially on the left side (with the bulb). Do you have these problems too? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete